Shannon Simpson, MA, LMFT, SEP
Shannon is a Marriage and Family Therapist with more than fifteen years of experience in the mental and alternative health fields. She approaches therapy from a body/mind perspective.Shannon helps clients resolve issues relating to:
- Traumatic events
- Childhood trauma early attachment issues
- Relationship issues
Her goal is to help each client’s system return to health and wholeness. In her work, Shannon incorporates Somatic Experiencing, attachment theory, mindfulness practices and Biodynamic Craniosacral therapy. Shannon specializes in resolving early birth and attachment issues and empowering parents to raise resilient, “trauma-proof” kids. She helps mothers and babies recover from difficult birth experiences.
Shannon draws on her diverse fields of expertise to find the right therapeutic approach for each person.
- To support her humanistic perspective, Shannon earned an MA in Marriage and Family Therapy from Saybrook Graduate Institute in San Francisco. This allows her to draw on more traditional therapeutic approaches when helpful.
- She is certified by the Somatic Experiencing Training Institute and has completed the Castellino Prenatal and Birth Therapy Training. This work helps Shannon to support healthy bonding and attachment with babies, families and adults and to resolve early birth imprinting.
- Shannon's Biodynamic Craniosacral training helps her use a gentle holistic approach to enhance the body’s own self-healing and self-regulating capabilities. This approach accesses the unique resources of the fluid tidal forces in the body. Shannon finds the biodynamic craniosacral approach particularly helpful in working with early traumatic experiences.
- Shannon has studied many forms of meditation, including Vipassana, and other forms of energy work at the Berkley Psychic Institute. She incorporates mindfulness meditation into her therapy when appropriate.
- Shannon has successfully ran garden therapy programs working with people who have addiction, ADHD, anxiety and depression issues.
- Shannon has assisted Myrna Martin in her Pre and Perinatal Education Trainings in Charlottesville Virginia.
Before coming to the mental health field Shannon was an organic farmer and trained as an herbalist. Her passion for growing and eating organic, sustainable food continues. In addition to tending her own gardens, Shannon has an organic farm and grows medicinal herbs for local herbalists and King Bio a Homeopathic Company in Asheville. Her work with the Earth has taught her the importance of nourishing one’s spiritual and physical connections in order to support mental health.